·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is great...I'm sitting in the lobby of the hotel and posting on the forum. We have to add that to the list of "how to know when you're addicted..." :D

I have "Goldline" queens.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
So let me get this straight....you picked up two blond queens in some sleezy hotel and your wife is ok with that?? Wow! Hang onto her!!

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
It appears they're gold diggers as well. OK, that's as far as we go with this! I get to have the last word.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You have a clean queen -- for example from Joe Latshaw, Purvis (Goldline), BWeaver, Russian, etc. with a stable genetic hegemony bred in a closed manner to avoid dilution of the stock -- either by insemination or breeding in outyards. You buy this queen and take her home and put her in your hive. You have 10 other hives and are surrounded by other beekeepers (like me) in addition to feral hives. You then graft from this stock/otherwise generate queens from her because she is so great. The new queens mate with up to 50 wildcard drones. You end up with an open mated cross. Your stock has been compromised. Maybe even improved, but not the same. It is no longer a Latshaw, Goldline, etc. Flyman is my neighbor here (though we have never met) and this area is thick with beekeepers. Just wondering where the stock is from or what it is, if it is a pure Goldline strain, or what. I don't know, just wondering.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got home. Posting this to the forum. Getting into my beesuit and out to the beeyards.

Going to gear up, get the smoker and head to the wild hive. Going to smoke it really well and go over the frames inch by inch looking for everything. Then I"ll put the queen cages into the hive.

Going to go get another cutout tomorrow. :applause::applause:

I'll post results in an hour.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smoke on these hot bees calmed them down alot! Checked the frames carefully for queen cells and found two. Removed both cells. The moment I set the queen cages down, bees within a six-inch circle immediately turned and they piled onto the queen cages. This was amazing to see. Immediately the hive forgot about me and focused all of their attention on the queens.

I posted a link to the picture in the very first post. For some reason, I still can't seem to post a picture. When I do, all the comes up is a square with an "X" in it.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Don't let the queens order room service. :D

So the hotels I go to walk my "King Charles Caviler" for me. What is the policy on Queens at your hotel.?

Do they short sheet them?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I got to Flyman's right after you and got 2 nucs and 2 queens. Must have just missed you. I love his place....maybe I need to move to east Texas.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
For some reason, I still can't seem to post a picture. When I do, all the comes up is a square with an "X" in it.
When you want to add a pic. Use the one photobucket supplies that starts with

Its the bottm of the 4 of the Share This Image links they provide.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts