Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the bees were going to swarm, wouldn't they do that before the new queen hatched?

I have a strong hive that I thought was going to swarm. The queen is ~1yr old. I've been seeing a few occupied "swarm" cells, and as long as they are quite small I've been taking them out. I don't want to make another split right now, so I figured I'd let them go and see what happens. They've been bearding a lot, but has been hot.

Yesterday, I was going to take some honey off, and when I opened the top I saw a virgin queen run off the frames down into the hive. Then I noticed some torn supercedure cells on one of the frames.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>If the bees were going to swarm, wouldn't they do that before the new queen hatched?

The primary swarm, yes.

>I have a strong hive that I thought was going to swarm. The queen is ~1yr old. I've been seeing a few occupied "swarm" cells, and as long as they are quite small I've been taking them out. I don't want to make another split right now, so I figured I'd let them go and see what happens.

Usually once they make up their mind, "what happens" is a swarm. Which is one of the reasons I don't bother to tear them down and the other is that they may swarm anyway and end up queenless.

>They've been bearding a lot, but has been hot.

It could just be because it's hot. But then you've been seeing swarm cells.

>Yesterday, I was going to take some honey off, and when I opened the top I saw a virgin queen run off the frames down into the hive. Then I noticed some torn supercedure cells on one of the frames.

>Any ideas as to what might be going on?

They probably swarmed and she's the new queen. Unless they superceded the old queen instead.

Did you look for the old queen? If the old queen is there, then I'd guess it's a supercedure. If she's not, then maybe it's a supercedure and maybe they already swarmed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judging by the amount of bees hanging on the outside at night I dont think they swarmed (yet). I wasn't expecting to see a virgin q running around so that really confused me.

They don't usually build supercedure cells (defined as in the middle of frame) when they swarm do they? And for swarming, don't they build many swarm cells at the bottoms?

No,I haven't looked for the old queen yet. I actually haven't done a detailed look through on that hive for several weeks, just quick bottom checks.

thanks, rick

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Judging by the amount of bees hanging on the outside at night I dont think they swarmed (yet).

I wouldn't count on that as proof.

>They don't usually build supercedure cells (defined as in the middle of frame) when they swarm do they?

Not usually. But sometimes.

>And for swarming, don't they build many swarm cells at the bottoms?

Usually. Is that what they did?

>No,I haven't looked for the old queen yet. I actually haven't done a detailed look through on that hive for several weeks, just quick bottom checks.

Well, if you haven't seen cells on the bottom then it's likely a supercedure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts