Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No brood bees cells, count seams to be light. So I am asuming that it is gueen less I never have had good luck in seeing eggs. The ? is in adding a frame for making a new queen. Do you leave the nurse bees on or brush them off a frame? Or does any one know of any queens that are form the Ohio queen program for sale Honey Run doesn't have any spares yet

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Just to play it safe, I would add a frame with eggs, & nurse bees. If they don't have a virgin queen in waiting, they should make queen cells.

Try using some magnifying glasses, have the sun at you're back, & tilt the frame so light shines into the bottom of the cells.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you add a frame of eggs and brood with nurse bees on it from Hive A to Hive B, won't the workers in Hive B kill the 'stranger' nurse bees from Hive A? Do they accept adult nurse bees from another hive?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Generally, a frame of brood and bees will be accepted by the recipient hive. Some of the nurse bees might find their way back to the donor hive if they fly but you can't help it. I have the same problem on one hive right now. It was hived from a package three weeks ago and there are only a few bees in their now. No brood...no queen. I'll re-queen next weekend and I'm limping the colony along with green brood from other hives until I get a chance to take care of it. If that fails, I'll be donating the few bees that are left to a fresh split I just made this weekend. Just as an aside, I hived three packages that same weekend. One of the colonies is booming and I'm guessing that the bees from the dwindling colony found their way to the booming one so it's not really a waste!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.