Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a swarm a about a week ago. Unfortunately I didn't get the queen. I have been told the bees will make a queen on there own if they are given eggs from another hive. So that is what I did today. I put in a frame of eggs/brood from my strong hive. How long should I wait to go back into the hive to see what they are doing?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Four days??? Huh? For what? To see if they are making queen cells? Of course they are if they have no queen.

Based on my experience, it will take about 35 days for them to make a queen, for her to mate and then start laying. I'll bet you won't see eggs at 30days, but you will at 35. As long as you gave them eggs, they'll be fine if you just leave them bee.

Chris Harvey--Teakwood Organics

www.thewarrestore.com

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
In 4 days and emergrncy queen cells are found the swarm was queen less.
In 4 days and no emergency queen cells = a virgin queen is in the hive or the old queen has not started laying.
Good luck,
Ernie

·
Registered
66 Posts
on that same note. I just captured a swarm last week on friday morning. Then, I just went in for a cursory look last night(thursday) and I didn't see any brood but I did see the makings of a queen cell. the swarm was on the end of a branch like a basketball, so it was a reallyeasy one to get. I can't imagine that i didn't get the queen. any advice on what is going on there?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
maybe she got injured, maybe she ia a virgin and hasnt started laying, maybe she got eaten on her mating flight..wait ten days and if no joy, treat'em to a frame of fresh eggs,-not larvae or brood.
good luck,mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts