Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The swarm I caught 8 days ago & hived with a frame of brood has produced at least half a dozen capped queen cells, so I am assuming there is no active queen. Didn't see any eggs or larva, and now all the open brood on the donor frame is capped.

The queen cells are pretty small & pitiful looking. Should I go ahead & let them develop or put in another frame of fresher brood? Or would I be better off just requeening?

I was hoping to get the swarm genetics, but that's gonna happen now. Too bad because these are honey gathering machines.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think that another frame of brood would be best try and find on that the queen is on that way you can get a fresh egg and hope for a better queen cell,also i thing that destroying the other cell might be a good way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
There may bee a queen in there somewhere I have had swarms take up to 3 weeks to start laying

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
lack of brood sometimes makes 'em blame the queen and supersede her-and sometimes they just abscond(leave). a frame of brood once a week for 3 weeks will do wonders. good luck,mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts