Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I am about 70% accurate on whether a hive is queenless or not. My overwintered Nuc came out strong in March. I saw the queen 3 weeks ago. Haven’t seen her nor eggs, larvae for the last week. Trying to let the bees figure it out. Added brood + eggs to see if they will make a new one + surpress any laying workers. 4 days later still nothing. Added a frame of brood today with a queen cell and larvae from another colony.

If they don’t accept that not sure what to do. I hesitate to add a queen if they are not making one themselves but they can’t continue without making more bees.

Any advice?

·
Registered
509 Posts
If they're not pulling cells on the frame you're adding, they have a queen. Might be a virgin on mating flights if you've had a swarm. Depending on weather, might've had a supercedure and queen didn't get mated properly. Plenty of options, if you had a swarm, you likely have 3 weeks from swarm date before a queen is laying again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lesson learned...patience. 3 1/2 weeks later, eggs and larvae. Still haven’t seen her but she is in there.

·
Registered
424 Posts
YEP! Been there, did same thing. When you look for the Q don't smoke them, it makes them get off the frames. When you do find her, mark her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts