Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a nuc that is 3 five frame boxes. Bees covering most of the frames in the lower 2, with ample stores. but unfortunately, they haven't had a laying queen in about a month. They had a virgin at one point, but I didn't find her last time i was in there (yesterday); and there are no eggs or brood.

What is the thinking on leaving them as is to overwinter and waiting for that time to put a queen in (if they survive?) Should I try to source a new queen, from say OHB, who will have bees it appears through next week?

I'm trying to make the best decision here, and would rather not combine them on to my other colony. I am leaning toward buying a new queen, so any thoughts on that? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're sure they're queenless and don't want to lose them, get a mated queen ASAP.

If you can't find a queen, combine with another (one of your weaker) hives.

Hey all,

I have a nuc that is 3 five frame boxes. Bees covering most of the frames in the lower 2, with ample stores. but unfortunately, they haven't had a laying queen in about a month. They had a virgin at one point, but I didn't find her last time i was in there (yesterday); and there are no eggs or brood.

What is the thinking on leaving them as is to overwinter and waiting for that time to put a queen in (if they survive?) Should I try to source a new queen, from say OHB, who will have bees it appears through next week?

I'm trying to make the best decision here, and would rather not combine them on to my other colony. I am leaning toward buying a new queen, so any thoughts on that? Thanks for your help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts