Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Queenless in september

1316 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  JWPalmer
Hey folks, in my second year as a returning bee keeper and I have a stubborn hive I need some advice on.

One of my stronger hives going into mid summer, looks to have swarmed in late July and then failed at Re-Queening itself.

July inspections showed hatched Queen cells but no new eggs/brood. Waited until early August,still no evidence of a laying Queen - added some frames of Egg/Brood, bees did not try to raise any queens at that time. Waited another week, still no signs of laying - ordered and installed a mated queen 3rd week of Aug.

Bees seemed receptive to the mated Queen, uneventful candy release. Yesterday on first inspection since checking for release I find almost a dozen emergency queen cells and some small scattered patches of brood, and no sign of the new mated queen. Wondering if they let her lay a bit then killed her ?

This is a big, well stocked hive with a large # of bees still, but I am thinking of cutting my losses and and breaking it down for resources for some of my other colonies. This particular hive is in an urban area with 2 others right on Long Island Sound ( usually a much later first frost ), so not the best candidate for shaking out the bees and letting them head to the other hives.

Playing With the idea of putting together a 5/5 nuc with the bees, queen cells, and some ( smaller amount of ) resources. 1 of my other hives still has some capped drone brood and there is usually a good goldenrod/Aster flow well into Oct, so there is a slight chance they could recover for the winter.

I'd hate to have to shake them out into a bucket of soapy water, but I'd rather not have so many resources tied up in a hive that's most likely going to be queen less going into the winter. Considered a newspaper combine, but worried they'll hassle one of my good queens.

Anyhow, any thoughts or advice would be welcome
See less
Hey folks, in my second year as a returning bee keeper and I have a stubborn hive I need some advice on.

One of my stronger hives going into mid summer, looks to have swarmed in late July and then failed at Re-Queening itself.

July inspections showed hatched Queen cells but no new eggs/brood. Waited until early August,still no evidence of a laying Queen - added some frames of Egg/Brood, bees did not try to raise any queens at that time. Waited another week, still no signs of laying -...
See more
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.