Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a last ditch effort I suppose. A couple weeks ago I suspected the queen did not overwinter in my hive. After an inspection today, my suspicions were confirmed. No eggs, no brood. I only started out with one hive last year so I do not have access to other frames of eggs/brood at my disposal.

Just wondering if anyone can help, or does anyone have suggestions? Thanks a million in advance. I'm so sad because everything else seems good!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
No eggs, no brood, but are there any opened queen cells? Are you sure there isn't a virgin queen in there somewhere?

If I had an extra queen, I'd send it to you, but I'm afraid I don't. Contact your local beekeepers association and ask for a spare queen, or a spare frame of brood. Or perhaps someone from Florida or Texas has one. Try doing some searches and contacting apiaries down there. Explain to them that it is an emergency queen. I don't know if you will get any positive responses though, things have been busy in the bee industry.

If all else fails, contact Kona Queen (808-328-9016). They can overnight you a queen, and they have them available year round. Very helpful, very nice. I've heard iffy things about their genetics though, so you might want to requeen in the future, but at least it will save the hive.

How long have they been queenless? If it's been too long the workers won't accept a new queen and they are a goner anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts