Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive that has a decent amount of bees but is queenless. Is there a way to get a queen or is it a lost cause.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking at her dead on the desk as I type this.
I was cleaning out bees from the bottom board and found her.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Maybe you are really lucky and the colony had two queens. Hawaiian import queens are available quite early.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
How many bees are left in the hive? It might not be worth saving, or you might have a second queen in there from a fall supercedure and the old mother has passed away. The bees will normally do everything they possibly can to save "their" queen from freezing, so if you still have a ton of bees left in the hive, I'd venture to say you still have a queen in the hive. If you only have a few stragglers, then the hive is doomed anyway.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I wouldn't count the hive out yet, even if it's queenless, if there is a good supply of healthy winter bees and you can get a queen soon. Normally, I would not go out on a limb like this as I am just going into my third year, but I think it is possible due to a recent "experiment". My daughter's hive went queenless on or about October 10. It was too late to obtain a queen and she decided not to combine. The hive was alive and was doing some cleansing flights a couple weeks ago. It lasted until about March 1st. J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts