Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 3 new packages. I checked them all after 5 days. The queens were released and everything look fine. On the second inspection one of them had no eggs and appeared to be queenless. I waited a 4 more days and still no eggs. I put in a frame of eggs and larva from one of my best hives. they drew out and capped 2 nive queen cells. 7 days later I checked again and one of the qeen cell has been torn out from the side and part of the top was still one it. I saw atl least 50 eggs. One single egg in the center of each cell. I did not see a queen. The other queen cell was still there. I checked a few days latter and that queen cell was torn down. I sall some more single eggs. I still did not see a queen. Could the package had a virgin? It is strange that the made the queens cells if they had a virgin queen? Sorry for the length. Any thoughts or comments.:scratch:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
just a new queen settling down. they sometimes supercede because they realize they have no larvae or capped brood and blame the queen so a frame of brood would be helpfull- but my guess is you're ok. good luck,mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mike this has been a little strange. I have installed and help others intall a lot of packages over the years and never saw anything like this. It seem every time you think you have seen it all they find something else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts