Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives next to each other brood in both a few weeks ago. This morning both have no brood, no larva, lots of bees.both very loud. I live in minnesota. Can I purchase a queen this late in the year,,, our honey flow is still going with ragweed coming in to bloom now, (very very rainy spring and the perfect summer). I have another very week hive,that is diminished from a bear attack.( has a good queen). Can I combine the week with the queenless, to make 1 hive. All my other hives are in good shape. also noticed a few closed emergency cells in one of the queenless hives.

Thanks

Doug

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
hi doug,

if you have emergency cells on more than one frame you might consider give one to the queenless colony, then wait and see if you get a queen.

if that's not successful, then you could combine the queenless one with your queenright one.

if all three end up with queens, you could then move some brood from the stronger ones to the weaker ones to equalize them for winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think there would be enough time?? worst case I might not see brood until September here in the north to me that seems late.

doug

·
Super Moderator
10,457 Posts
no doubt it's getting late, especially up there. part of it depends on when the queen cells hatch, you'll have brood about three weeks later.

when do you usually get your first frost? if it's not until october you might have enough time.

after reading your first post again, i see that you have other hives that are doing well. combining resources at the end of the season is a good management practice.

sounds like you've got options, experiment and see what happens. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts