Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a nuc 4 weeks a go last week I inspected the hive I did not find a queen no eggs no larva but did have hatching brood. So Wednesday last week I got a new marked queen and introduced her to the hive in the queen container. She was out two days later. To day I reenspected the hive... no queen bo eggs, no brood...I also do not see any used queen cells. What can I do I do not have another hive to help me out.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
There are several possibilities here, but everyone will only be guessing without more information. If you had hatching brood today, that indicates you had a queen 21 days ago. Did you inspect the hive around that time? If so, you may have killed the queen and they are in the process of making another, so they killed your purchased queen. They may have swarmed and are in the process of making another queen. It is also possible they superceded the queen and are in the process of making another queen.
Please put your location in your profile to get better advice. More details of prior inspections would be helpful. Without more info, I would hold off doing anything, but, depending on your location, it may be hard to get a queen soon. J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Southwest Arkansas
No used queen cells at eatheer inspection. I had hatching brood last week no eggs no larva last week so I got a matted marked queen. Today nothing on eggs no larva no brood. Lots of bee bread and honey.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Is there open, drawn comb in the hive for the queen to lay? Did they draw comb when you installed the nuc? . J

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
322 Posts
Ok, so you installed a mated queen, and they got through the candy in two days? Not to offend but how good are you at locating eggs, queens as some people tend to take little while getting the hang of it? If you are sure you have no eggs, or queen you will need to get another or find a someone with queen cells in your area. If the place in which you purchase the queen makes their candy soft enough that the bees are reaching her in two days it’s too soft. My suggestion seeing as how you have no capped brood, is release the queen and tenants into a press in cage with her over a spot with room to lay and some nectar so her tenants can keep her fed. Place into the center of your hive and close it up, place a feeder on the hive, and pollen patties if you have them. Leave it alone for five days then go see how the bees are reacting to your queen, if you can easily move them, and they aren’t attempting to bite and sting, but seem to be feeding or caring for her release her from the push in. Using the push in will allow her to begin laying, this spreading both her pheromones, and that of fresh brood. I really think having zero brood that if you went with an unmated queen or queen cell it could potentially be to late. So a mated queen is the only way to proceed, my opinion. Traditional cage release you are going to loose some time say 3-5 days in which your queen could be laying. If you are unfamiliar with push in cages there are tons of videos, but you will need to act rather quickly. I hope everything works out, and this was of some help.
Cody

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,166 Posts
Marks are also often polished or chewed off of installed queens. Have had that happen a number of times. Either find a tiny little remnant of the paint or none of it at all... or something in between. So don't discount the possibility. Otherwise... I've had at least six people call me this year wanting to buy queens. I take the time to talk to them about what's going on and so far, in five of the six cases, I've arrived at the conclusion that they needed to wait as they likely had a swarm (or more) issue. All five ended up with mated queens when they waited whatever timeframe made sense (a week or two). The sixth one I'm still waiting to hear back from.

For some reason people seem to think that broodless == queenless and that just simply isn't the case. Bee math is really lost on a lot of folks who can apparently find my phone number to buy queens, but cannot find any other general beekeeping information. :D

That said... sounds like purchased queen might have got tossed in with virgin queen. Virgin queen might not have made it back or could have been damaged in the resultant fray. Additionally... two days is way too early to check on an introduced queen (IMO). Lets say she made it out... she might have only been loose for 15 minutes when you went digging through. 7-10 days just works so much better. And removes a lot of the "I still don't have eggs, I still don't see a queen" routine because you've given her the time to actually become the queen of the colony that you're trying to get to accept her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts