Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have two hives and one of them for one reason or another there is no queen. I have no tried to introduce a queen into the hive three times. I paid someone to do this for me the first time via the queen cage method. I took a quick peek a few days later and the queen was dead but the other bees in the cage were still alive. I tried a second time this time the cage was open and the queen was not present. Finally I tried one more time and again no result.

This hive started out in the spring and early summer very strong. I did start to notice less activity than my other hive and when I checked I did see a lot of bees but very little brood. In the last 5 weeks I have been adding brood to the hive from my other one and was hoping for either one of the queens I introduced would take or perhaps a queen cell.

I realized now that the brood I was adding were not young enough and no queen was made. I usually put frames in with both capped around ten days ago I checked and did see two queen cells but they were not on the frames of brood I introduced.

How is it possible to have two capped queen cells if they were not from the brood I introduced? I did notice that frame had around a dozen capped cells that look to be drone, I guess they were from the worker bees. Does this mean they tried to make a queen from the worker bee laying?

Should I try to add a nuc to this hive since introducing a queen has not worked. Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
405 Posts
Most likely they swarmed earlier, tried raising a new queen, and either weren't successful for what ever normal reason or your attempts to introduce a new queen somehow screwed up the virgin. I would do some reading on laying worker hives. I had/have one that I put a queen right nuc with a screened bottom on top of the laying worker nuc. The LW nuc had the bottom entrance the queen right has a top entrance on back of the hive. Still waiting for the laying workers to be suppressed then I'll combine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts