Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to look into my "strong" hive (of 2) to see why numbers seem to be down. No queen, no larva, no eggs. Still a lot of bees, who were quite well behaved. No capped cells, two empty swarm cells and one empty supercedure cell. No luck finding a queen for sale anywhere, though my name is on a list for 3 weeks from now with one supplier. In the meantime, I want to try to raise a queen. Should I do this in a nuc from the other colony, which is also going pretty strong, taking some honey, pollen, brood frames into a nuc box or can I shake the bees off a frame with eggs/larva and put that in the queenless hive? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They may have just superseded and you have a virgin not laying yet. It may take another 10 days to know for sure. - If your bee numbers are up I would place one frame of eggs in the center and mark it.(Flip flop frames from your other hive). Go back in 5 days and see if they start themselves a new queen cell. If you do not have a cell you probably got you a virgin. (wait another 5 days and she should be laying) = 10 days total

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of there being a queen present who just wasn't laying yet. That could explain their good behavior, which I thought extraordinary based on what I've read from others' experiences with queenless hives. Although we looked the hive over thoroughly, and I've been pretty good at spotting the queen, it's quite possible I missed her. So I will switch a frame from our other hive with eggs/larva and give it some time.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
A virgin queen isn't that much different than a worker. She is a little larger, but if you don't know to look for her, you can miss her really easily. don't feel bad about missing her, the only one I have ever seen was pointed out by a friend helping me. but when we put her into a marking tube, she was larger than the worker in with her. and when she started to lay there was no doubt it was her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts