Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found that one of my hives is queenless, and has virtually no brood (capped or uncapped) and all of the cells look to have nectar/syrup in them. This hive was started from a package in April and is still on one deep with about 6 frames fully drawn. I am trying to decide wether to order a bred queen or combine them with another slow grower that I have, and I am leaning towards combining. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated. but my main question is, what if anything I need to do about the cells being filled with nectar/syrup, before I add the queen or combine. I dont have any empty drawn frames. Will the bees empty the cells to make room for brood, or do I need to do something to empty the frames?

Thanks
Blueline

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...empty the cells to make room for brood..."
unless i missunderstood, you have a 10 frame brood box with only "... about 6 frames fully drawn..."
if you combine, they will draw out the other 4 frames for brood as they need'em.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Mike. The other 4 frames are in different stages of being drawn and again what has been drawn is being filled with nectar/syrup. I know there will be SOME room on these frames but not a lot. The hive I would be combining with is still a single brood box.

Blueline

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i'd do a newspaper combine. check'em in about a week-if the queen is laying really well in a couple weeks,consider a split.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Do your newspaper combine but move the drawn frames with honey to the outside and new frames in the middle or directly over the current bottom brood nest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts