Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my hives went queenless this winter.

It has 6 solid frames of bees and a virgin queen laying drones.

Do I dare remove the virgin and do a newspaper combine with a Queen right hive that has less bees at this point or just let it dwindle?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
There is an old saying...
There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Same with beekeeping, many ways to do the same thing.
So I'll just say what I might do in your situation.

I would pinch the virgin queen. I would then put a queen excluder on top, on top of a single sheet of newspaper, and put my queen-right hive on top of that. There should not be too much danger of laying workers since there is a drone laying queen in the one hive (but do be sure to pinch her out). The queen excluder will slow the bees down enough from joining, especially if you put newspaper under it. The queen on top in new location seems safer to me than a bunch of strange bees on top of a weaker queen right hive. The bees in the top will slowly work down as the entrance is on the bottom, and bees like to put stores over brood nest so only bees going up will be to store incoming nectar, if any. This just seems the safest way to join if that is what you want to do. Just a note, I myself would not use the newspaper, but it would be a safer way to do it for you.

The very safest way to insure the good queen does not get stressed or damaged of course, is to just leave things the way they are and do something later on as weather warms and queens are available incase of loss by doing something now.

Good Luck and try not to stress!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Any chance you already have drones and good weather in your area? If so could you remove the bad queen, move a frame with some eggs from the queen right hive, and see if they will raise a new queen. It is possible that you may have enough drones in the virgin queen hive for this to work even if other hives do not have drones and the weather is warm enough (or will be in 2 weeks) for a queen to mate.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know how long you have to go to spring, but if you wanted a good drone population for spring queens, couldn't you leave her laying drones? Granted, at some point, you are going to run out of nurse bees, but I think some queen raisers will let a drone layer increase the drone populations before replacing her.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have some options it would appear.

I’ve been pondering this situation for almost 3 weeks and while not having reached any hard conclusions, I’m leaning towards a combine.
The input is appreciated. I’ll report my results. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After pinching the DLQueen, I did a newspaper combine placing QR box on top and did not use an excluder.

It seems to have worked just fine.
Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts