Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something good for my lack of sufficient colonies, but not necessarily good for queen cell rearing.

Okay, a few days ago I setup my first cell builder of the season. Today I opened them up and was getting them ready to give them some grafts. I carefully shook the bees from the combs, so I could be sure to remove every rogue cell - there were five. I then left them open while I grafted two bars and installed them in the cell builder. Just before I installed the last bar, a swarm arrived and began clustering right next to them. I believe they were attracted by the smell of the open colony, but I couldn't have them enter with a possibly virgin queen, or any queen for that matter. It's fairly certain the grafts would be aborted. So, I quickly placed a vacant nuc (with empty combs) where the swarm was in the process of clustering. The swarm soon began entering the empty nuc. Hopefully that is where they will remain, and not move into the cell builder - I did reduce the cell builder entrance so a queen would have difficulty entering.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had almost the same thing happen to me last year. I did an equal split one evening and went to check on them early the next morning and arrived just in time to see a swarm that had settled in the top of a forty foot tree, as I watched they left the tree and entered one of the splits, I found out later it was the half with no queen, I suddenly went from a split to a booming hive with high population of workers. May explain why we sometimes have a split that seems to explode overnight.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I had almost the same thing happen to me last year. I did an equal split one evening and went to check on them early the next morning and arrived just in time to see a swarm that had settled in the top of a forty foot tree, as I watched they left the tree and entered one of the splits, I found out later it was the half with no queen, I suddenly went from a split to a booming hive with high population of workers. May explain why we sometimes have a split that seems to explode overnight.
Do you think in situations like yours the swarm will normally avoid the queen-right hive in favor of the queenless?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts