Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked back at my notes. Looks like I added to many boxes over the last couple of months and the bees could not cover them.

But it doesn't explain the hive going queenless. I did find an unopened Qcell. I will check back in a few days to see if it emerged. If not, I will decide whether to take the 3-frame nuc I just started from a 5-frame nuc and put it with the queenless hive or just spread the bees around to other hives. Guess I could purchase a queen.

I did greatly reduce the size of the hive to a small and medium. The small had the queen cell and the medium had the most honey with pollen. Shaking all of the bees into these 2 smaller boxes will greatly increase their ability to protect their comb. I can't remember but I may not have put all of the frames back in the 2 boxes to reduce their area of cover in more.

This hive is weird in the sense that these bees keep bringing in pollen. They have more pollen than honey. It doesn't make sense for a queenless hive. It also makes sense why it's SHB infested with larva and a few wax moths. They are creating more breeding ground for the SHBs and less bees to cover the comb.

Anyone ever have a hive that wants to have so much pollen over nectar/honey? We are currently in a big nectar flow.

As a side note. I made the 3-frame nuc from the 5-frame nuc because I feel the bees don't know what they are doing. The queen in the 5-frame nuc is laying like crazy. Don't want to lose that queen's production. So I figured I would let her continue and move her daughters on 1 frame to a 3-frame nuc to get her genetics.

I know that bees normally know what's best. But this queen is laying.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You won't have to worry about that hive much longer if you have SHB larva and don't get them out. All the bees in Christendom won't help once there's larva working the frames.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got removed the frame that I know had larva. The pollen in the cells were from a Megabee Patty. You can easily see the difference. But I will keep a close watch.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah keep an eye on them. SHB are some nasty bug as wax moths. I fought and fought them last year in one hive and ended up burning all the frames one they bees absconded. To check for SHB larve hold the frame in the direct sun on it side and see what happens. You will know if you got them all Dont really have an opinion about pollen over honey. Will be interested to see what you find
Peace Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts