Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New beekeeper just sharing some thoughts and had a few questions.
Put a swarm in and for the first week they acted "different". They didn't start making comb like mad and after a few weeks there were no eggs to be found. I considered buying a queen but we have another hive so i added a frame mixed open brood and eggs. Last weekend I hived another swarm and made a mess of their burr comb. Some of the pieces of burr had eggs so i rubber banded them in a frame and gave them to the little (assuming queen less) colony.
Opened it today and this is what I found

From the quick look I had, they all seem to be capped. There are two other cells in the shadow that are similar but don't show well in the pic.

They have one ff half drawn and full of stores. 5 of 8 frames are mostly drawn with open nectar and pollen. One outside frame is untouched.
There doesn't seem to be much coming and going at the front of the hive since I added the last brood. I think everyone is focused on getting a queen. I plan on adding a frame of capped brood, as close to hatching as possible, from my other hive this weekend.

Is there anything else I can do to help them?
Should i put a feeder on? (They don't have much open wax right now)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
From "The Practical Beekeeper" by Michael Bush:

"There are few solutions as universal in their application and their success, than adding a frame of open brood from another hive every week for three weeks"
---------------
(the "than" might better read "as" but I'm not real gramatical:).)

regardless, great advice, you're 1/3 of the way there!

I would offer them a pint of syrup, and see how they take it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Colobee is right. Give them another frame of just open brood/eggs. It will give the workers something to do, and keep the chances of a laying worker take over down. You do that 3 weeks in a row and your population will explode and they will be able to take care of things really well from there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: queenless and questions* another question

Checked on this hive again today. Queen cells were all empty. Couldn't find the queen, but I snapped a couple pics with my phone and looky what we have here!
(Hint) Top of frame almost center.

It seems like there is a lot of drone cells in this hive. Maybe 40% ? Should i go in and cut out the drone cells? Im afraid mites may get a jump on this little hive just when they finally get their queen.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Re: queenless and questions* another question

She's beautiful!

I never ever tire of seeing pictures of people's bees ...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like posting them. Finding the queen is still really exciting to me.
Found these ladies the same day.
Carniolan queen from our top bar

Queen from the latest swarm we hived.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts