Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Queenless and honey bound

5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  BattenkillJB 
"Should I take a knife and remove the empty (used) queen cells? I would wait until the hive is queenright first."

Hi Drew, Why,, Have a reason to do something. messing around with out reason may squish the queen, or something. Every time you open the hive you add disturbance and some risk. when the need is higher than these 2 issues, you go in and satisfy the need. What is the need to go in to cut off the queen Cells?

UPDATE

It's been eight days since I was in the hive last. I still didn't see any eggs, but...... there was one C-shaped larvae on one side of the center frame and when I flipped it over there was one more c-shaped larvae. I figure they're both about seven days old. Totally random locations, surrounded by empty cells. I used a flashlight to really get a good look in the bottom of the cells and I had my reading glasses on. No eggs. The adjacent frames had plenty of nectar and bread.

Got successfully stung once and multiple times that didn't hit skin. They're very aggressive.
Very Aggressive I find to mean Queen less in my hives. So do a good inspection, If you cannot find a queen or lots of eggs then you are likely queenless. A couple larvae as Michael Bush pointed out could be laying workers. If they cap up into drones that would help confirm Laying worker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.