Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my colonies swarmed on April 7th and I looked in on them yesterday, April 21. I did not see any eggs or evidence of a new queen but did see several queen cells, some with the tips cracked open and a few still closed off. What should I do?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would not wait to order a new queen,if this is your only hive. Once your queens start to come out ,the first one out will kill the rest. Then will have to fly out an get matted, then return to lay eggs. Thats a lot of time gone by. You have to also concider a laying worker starting up by waiting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good luck ordering a queen at this time. Give it a week. You have another hive, if she doesn't start laying in a week, then simply pull a frame with eggs and place it in. They'll make one. You saw cells and you have another hive. You have time.....

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
>One of my colonies swarmed on April 7th and I looked in on them yesterday, April 21. I did not see any eggs or evidence of a new queen but did see several queen cells, some with the tips cracked open and a few still closed off. What should I do?

They will swarm the day of or the day after the first queen cell is capped. That queen will emerge 7 days later. She will harden a few days, orient a few days and eventually mate and will be laying 2 weeks after that (+- a week). So I would expect to see eggs most likely on April 28th and for sure by May 5th. I would never expect to see any before April the 21st and probably not before April 28th. Today is the 23rd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe getting a package would be a little hard, but to get queens, Calif. is a major supplier of queens most of the bee season as well as down south.

·
Registered
574 Posts
>One of my colonies swarmed on April 7th and I looked in on them yesterday, April 21. I did not see any eggs or evidence of a new queen but did see several queen cells, some with the tips cracked open and a few still closed off. What should I do?

What Michael said.
But if you did not reduce to one queen cell you have most likely lost casts as well.
Sounds like it if you still have intact queen cells with others sealed.

If you look at the math.
Swarmed April 7th.
The first queen to emerge was likely on the 14th or 15th April
An egg laid on the 7th which gets turned into a queen would not even have the queen emerge emerge until 23rd April and could take until 15th May to mate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts