Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new and could use some experienced eyes on this. Installed a package two and a half weeks ago and was thinking we lost the queen. This pic shows pretty much the only brood and larvae in the hive. Haven’t found any eggs. The small amount of spottily distributed brood looks weird.
3623C647-3C07-4073-A058-0DE1F2369AEB.jpg

Took some pictures during yesterday’s inspection and it looks to me that I found the queen but it’s not the clearest shot of her. Am I right that this is the queen? Any opinions on what’s going on with this hive? Thanks.
E20CA3D6-B826-4607-879D-FF498616159D.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
welcome to beesource mace! i took the liberty of moving your thread to the 101 subforum.

that weird looking capped brood appears to be drone brood in worker cells, and if so would indicate a drone laying queen or laying workers.

it's hard to tell by the photo, but i don't think either one of the bees circled is a queen.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
No queen do I see. Even if there is a queen, there is no acceptable queen.
That is old comb, does that mean you have another hive? What is available to you for a way forward?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. The posted pic isn’t as good as the original, the site seems to be reducing the resolution. I don’t think you can actually see the end of the abdomen because it’s dark, I wish you could see the original. In this pic the very tip of the arrow is just touching the end of the abdomen so you can get an idea of how long it really is compared to the wings. You guys still sure it’s not a queen?

DFD3251E-751D-4091-A6B5-1BADB7715445.jpg

Some of the comb is old and yes, there are two more hives and was thinking about adding a comb of brood. A new queen is in the mail and should be here tomorrow but if this is actually a queen I’m not sure what the best step should be. Introduce the new queen and let the colony sort it out? Keep the new queen separated for a day or two to see if the hive improves? (Not sure how long I can keep the new queen going separately). Put the new queen and good brood frame in immediately?

·
Super Moderator
11,005 Posts
I'm bumping this thread as Mace posted a reply (post #4) yesterday afternoon, but the system decided to "moderate" that post and it was not publicly readable.

Now that the post has been released from the "moderated" queue I wanted to make sure it wasn't lost in the back of the "New Posts" queue. :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Can't say for sure that it is not a queen, can say for sure she is not worth anymore time. Kill her. If you can find her.

Depending upon equipment I would divide the existing hive into the two and take a frame from each to start a replacement from scratch.

(This one should be good for some contrary views.)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
It looks a little bit like a Queen to me, smooth thorax and long, dark abdomen, still hard to say. Sometimes it takes a few days for a package Queen to get up to speed, but 2.5 weeks should be plenty of time, unless she was a rogue virgin when she arrived. At the very least there should be a lot of eggs by now.
If you don't want to kill her or you want increase, move her into a split to give her a chance and introduce your new Queen since she is already on the way.

Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts