Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a queen that won't move up. She came out of winter laying in a shallow super, I moved it to the bottom a few weeks ago and put a deep on top. I looked at it the other day and found the bees were putting nector in the deep and there is plenty of room, when I looked at the shallow I found swarm cells and packed with brood. How do I get her to go up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Right now it sounds like she is getting ready to move out instead of up. If you have swarm cells. You better move her into a split.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You might try moving two or three frames with brood up to the top box. I would place them brood-deep-brood-deep in the center of the box (basically a checker-board). You will get drone comb on the bottoms of the shallow frames, but you can either cut it out as veroa prevention or leave it for drone production.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Put the super on the top of the brood box. She'll move down as brood hatches and nectar gets moved up above the brood. They like to store nectar above brood, so that's what they started doing and decided to swarm instead of crossing the space between boxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts