Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first year beekeeper. I opened my hive this evening to check everything out and I found my queen immediately. She was wandering around on the outermost frame alone. I have a 10 frame deep which they have only drawn out the inner 5 frames on so there is no comb even close to where she was. Is it normal to find the queen alone without attendants?

She is not the original queen. The original died for no reason I can figure out 10 days after the package was installed. She barely laid any eggs but luckily there were some for the hive to create new queens. I also received a replacement queen from The vendor but by that time The new queens were about to emerge. The new queen has been in there about 2 weeks now and has been busy laying. It looks like she has run out of cells and the workers aren't drawing out new comb very fast. The hive is very weak as there has been no new brood for almost 6 weeks now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have been feeding them although they stopped taking any almost a week ago now as we are in the middle of a nectar flow here. I had been considering moving one or two of the undrawn frames in between ones that are drawn out ones but I wasn't sure if I should do that now or wait until they draw out another frame or two. The queen wandering by herself was kind of alarming to me everything I've read always has her surrounded by attendants.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When the queen is desperate to find a place to lay eggs, she can wander a good distance. Here attendants are not always with her. The group sort of comes together and disperses and is replaced by others. If she stops for very long, attendants will gather around her. But, if she is on the move at her top speed, she will end up alone. I see it all the time in my observation hive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I saw this today... grabbed the outside frame first as normal to hang on side of hive. It was a heavy food frame, half of it capped honey... just happened to glance at it casually and there she was on the outside wandering around on some honey sealed cells.....

just a reminder to on the alert that she can be anywhere.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts