Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hive (package this year)that, upon inspection two months ago, was booming. Lots of eggs, brood, stores etc in all phases. A month ago I did an inspection and to my dismay found no eggs and only drone brood. I found the Queen on an outside frame (which I thought was strange) and then I also found two supersede queen cells that had emerged but I'm not sure when. I guessed at the time that the queen I had found might be a virgin queen so I closed up the hive and checked it again about a week and a half later. Still no eggs. At this point I decided that maybe the queen was the original and had gone drone layer before going no layer and the bees had tried to make a new queen that maybe failed. I took a frame of eggs and larva in all stages from another hive and put it in and then took the assumed failed queen out with a couple of frames of bees and stuck her in a nuc. Fast forward to today. I took a look in the nuc where I had placed the queen that I was assuming had failed. Still no eggs. I watched her for a bit and it looked like she was trying to lay. She moved from cell to cell putting her abdomen down in. When I looked in the cells though there were no eggs.

I'm not sure what I want to do at this point. I have 5 hives and 3 nucs (including the non laying queen nuc). I'm thinking that I might just combine the nuc with the non laying queen with one of the other nucs or back with the original hive (minus the non laying queen). The original hive does have a new queen now that I will check to see if she was successfully mated in about 2 weeks.

How would some of you more experienced beeks have managed this?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a new virgin in my observation hive. She hatched 6 days ago, so no way mated but is doing the same as yours. Going through the motions but no eggs. Wonder if u have a virgin queen who just needs more time

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked again tonight. There were minimal eggs. maybe 20 and minimal larva about the same. Of the capped larva, all drones. I took her out of the nuc and dropped her in a small jar of alcohol for swarm lure. I'll combine the nuc with a stronger one tomorrow. On a happy note, the hive I took her out of originally that I gave the frame of eggs has a nice looking queen now that is laying very well. I love it when that works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts