Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if I did anything that was good, but here is what I did. I was going through a hive that I had removed from a garage last year and had over wintered very well. I left them with two medium brood boxes of honey and they used less than five frames of that (I am now a believer in feral bee's having a smaller cluster). I swapped out three frames of honey for empty frames for slits. The bees quickly filled most of that up and decided that they needed to swarm. I found several queen cells when doing an inspection. I didn't see any eggs, so I assumed that the queen was gone...until I saw her. I quickly snached her up (I have never done this bare handed before) and put her in a cardboard box. I then restapled the screen back on a queen cage,then in the bathroom - I learned that here- put her inside the queen cage. I then, after marking( another first) decided to put her in one of the splits that I had just made. My goal was to keep the first hive from swarming and give the second hive a little jump on the game. How is my reasoning?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Actually, she was probably slimming down to swarm.

Reasoning pretty good, however it is likely they will still swarm, except they will leave with the first hatched virgin instead.

You need to releive the congestion and give them more room if you haven't already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts