Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a double deep hive that over wintered well but didn't grow coming out of winter. Saw no brood so purchased a Queen. Put it in several weeks ago now. I thought she had died but later on inspection saw her and marked her. There are significant bees in both boxes, lots of nectar and pollen and capped from over winter. There is one frame with largish larvae and capped brood. It is a solid pattern but only one frame in the entire hive! I saw the Queen walking about but not with a large retinue...she is marked.

I think my action today was not the best. I traded out a frame of nectar and pollen for a frame full of larvae and some capped brood from a package that is thriving. I hope they will supercede the Queen who is not laying. I think I should of removed the Queen when I saw her...either pinched her or held her in a Queenless nuc that I put what is turning out yo be a dud of a swarm cell in.

Should I go back in tomorrow and try and get the Queen or just let things be? There were no swarm, supercedure cells or even cups.

Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
How many bees are in the hive with the queen? If they don't have enough to cover more brood, then she won't lay there. I had a hive that over-wintered, but had a small amount of bees. I added some capped brood to boost the numbers and it seemed to help a lot!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least 6 full frames top and bottom box. You take off the lid and bees are oozing out the inner cover central hole. I don't think there is any trouble with numbers and although some drone most are workers. The porch activity is less frantic than the stronger hives.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK folks ...over 100 views...do I remove the Queen or leave her in the original hive with the new frame with young brood?
Someone must know what is best...I certainly do not:(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like you need a new queen. If you have a frame of eggs to add you can move the queen and a frame or two of bees into a nuc. Then add the frame with eggs in your hive and they can make a new queen. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I move the Queen without bees or frames into a Queenless nuc or will the nuc ball her? Would I have to cage with a few workers and treat her like a purchased Queen? If there is nectar in the nuc do I have to make up Queen candy or could I just put in a piece of marshmallow if caging is required pre release.

·
Registered
263 Posts
treat her like a purchased Queen. I use marshmallow.
Charlie

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Saw no brood so purchased a Queen. Put it in several weeks ago now. There is one frame with largish larvae and capped brood. It is a solid pattern but only one frame in the entire hive! I saw the Queen walking about but not with a large retinue...she is marked.
so the queen wasn't marked when you put it in? any idea how long it took them to release the queen? did you see eggs when you checked the frames?

some possibilities are, they had a queen cell going when you put the queen in, so they may have killed your queen and this queen is just starting to lay.
the queen you put in is a dud. I would put in a frame of brood and come back in a week and see if she you can see eggs, you could order a queen and if she starts laying better, make up a nuc for the new queen.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the queen wasn't marked when you put it in? any idea how long it took them to release the queen? did you see eggs when you checked the frames?

some possibilities are, they had a queen cell going when you put the queen in, so they may have killed your queen and this queen is just starting to lay.
the queen you put in is a dud. I would put in a frame of brood and come back in a week and see if she you can see eggs, you could order a queen and if she starts laying better, make up a nuc for the new queen.
In April I put in an unmarked purchased Queen. She was unmarked. I checked back in a couple of weeks and still no eggs, larva or brood. I assumed she had been killed. It took 4 days for them to release her...seemed normal.

I had a Queen ordered and before I picked her up I checked the hive once again. There was a small amount of brood and a Queen. I marked her. That is the Queen I saw the other day. But one frame of brood and mature larvae with no sign of eggs or young larvae in a hive of drawn comb seems odd.

I took a frame with young brood and eggs from a package I had and gave it to that hive.

Am trying to decide if I leave it be or pull the Queen today in hopes of them raising a Queen from the brood I gave them. Unfortunately it is once again raining today.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Summer only comes once a year.
While a banked queen can be very slow to lay, most likely not the problem here. Park her in a small nuc as an insurance policy and move ahead. Putting empty comb in a laying hive to get it layed up is not a big investment for the donor and keeps the receiving hive stable and busy.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today is coming to an end...if I don't check for her tonight it will tomorrow evening. Best tonight or the larvae I gave the hive will be too old for qc.
I have a Queenless nuc. I will move the Queen with a frame of her bees. I will put her and some of her bees in a roller cage with a marshmallow cap.

Let me know if there is a huge error with that plan.

Thanks..I have not been home through the day.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I found the marked Queen, caged her with young bees from her hive and moved her a frame with her bees to the Queenless nuc. I used marshmallow in the cap end of the cage. her original hive was given open brood a day ago.
I am curious to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
So I found the marked Queen, caged her with young bees from her hive and moved her a frame with her bees to the Queenless nuc. I used marshmallow in the cap end of the cage. her original hive was given open brood a day ago.
I am curious to see what happens.
I had the same problem this year. A queen that layed a single frame great, but left all the other frames empty. Hives can't build when only a single frame is used for laying.
Putting her in a nuc allows the nuc to stagger along, but build comb for you in the process.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If she doesn't do better in the nuc she will become my first Queen juice and I will let the nuc make a decent Queen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts