Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been beekeeping for 6 years and haven't seen this happen before. Had 10 hives coming out of 2018 with 2018 queens. In May, the hives started replacing the 2018 queens with 2019 queens. Then a month later, those new queens, were replaced again by new 2019 queens. I did see on the average about 2 to 4queen cells at different locations on the frames and I didn't notice any of the hives swarmed. I treated with Apiguard in August of last year and oxalic acid vaporization in December. The hives are 1 hive deep with 2 honey supers on all 10 hives. Any ideas fellow beekeepers?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,002 Posts
I have been beekeeping for 6 years and haven't seen this happen before. Had 10 hives coming out of 2018 with 2018 queens. In May, the hives started replacing the 2018 queens with 2019 queens. Then a month later, those new queens, were replaced again by new 2019 queens. I did see on the average about 2 to 4queen cells at different locations on the frames and I didn't notice any of the hives swarmed. I treated with Apiguard in August of last year and oxalic acid vaporization in December. The hives are 1 hive deep with 2 honey supers on all 10 hives. Any ideas fellow beekeepers?
the hives are doing a supercedure, it is a natural way they replace the Queen.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that Gray Goose but to replace 2018 queens with 2019 queens and then again a month later replace those 2019 queens on 10 hives seems a bit to much.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks to the crazy spring we didn't even have significant numbers of drones until the end of May. Is it possible that the first round of queens were poorly mated?

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Are you doing any kind of checkerboarding around the brood nest or perhaps giving them a bit too much space?

With extended bad weather and carni bees, small groups can get isolated and along with queen cutting back on laying, reduced pheremones etc., get the notion to start cells. Sometimes they will tear them down! About drove me crazy on my second season when I was pushing to get comb drawn and giving them a bit too much space.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,002 Posts
I understand that Gray Goose but to replace 2018 queens with 2019 queens and then again a month later replace those 2019 queens on 10 hives seems a bit to much.
I would agree, if several hives with same source queens are on the 2nd or 3rd replacement, in the first year, that does not bode well.
there is likely something else going on. have you treated for Mites, what is the count? Possibility the first round was poorly mated. Also possible the original queens have virus of some sort, passed to the daughters. I would not panic but this is a cause for concern, if the queens are failing rapidly then at some point like, winter, they will not be able to find drones to mate. Maybe call the source/breeder and ask what they think is up. If a 3 rd round is started, I would replace some of them with "new, different source queens" if they also have the same issue it could be environmental, if not then it is the stock, perhaps. It is difficult to determine from a distance, I would definitely keep track of it. For me the last time I lost 4 of 5 newly mated july queens by late aug it was virus load and the hives perished by December. There is some evidence to suggest some of the virus is passed via body fluids. Varoa now vector like 9 different virus. be a sleuth, keep notes, get some new queen before the breeders stop for the year, if you feel that is what is needed. do some counts, treat if you are inclined. this indeed sounds odd. This year I have not had a queen replaced, knock on wood. Think on the "Why" and the answer will come easier.
GG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts