Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flew out to Purdue last June to take their course on Queen Rearing. It was an enjoyable and educational experience. Upon my return I realized that everything I learned was based on deeps, and I have been using mediums exclusively.

Am I swimming upstream trying to convert everything I learned to mediums? It is hard to find swarm boxes and/or starter/finisher boxes in mediums. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am an all deep guy but there should be no reason you can't make it work in mediums. Last I heard the Miksa family was using mediums to raise phenomenal amounts of queen cells. You might have to adjust a thing or two slightly but shouldn't be a biggie

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You may need to diy a few things, but I'm using mediums and raised a few queens last year. This year I hope to get better at it and raise more. I don't need a lot over all. If your instructions call for two deeps, think 3 mediums. However, it is often about nurse bee density.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where are you seeing an issue? I only use mediums. As Jadeguppy mentioned it is about nurse bees and having close resources. I generally use a packed double stack of mediums. A deep grafting frame will fit in the middle if you carefully align the frames; or you can modify a medium frame to hold the cell bars.

I've also done the Hopkins method and they take like gangbusters. I really wasn't thinking and used plastic foundation for that trial which became a problem when moving the cells. Many of them made good queens, but it took too long to move them. Also, I would space the good eggs/larva further apart. Skipping 2 cells wasn't enough and they joined many together.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I do all my queen rearing in mediums. I make my own frames to take the JZBZ cells. I often buy them as well. I use a swarm box from Betterbee that is designed for deeps. It works fine with mediums. I use medium queen castles for mating nucs. I used to buy deeps and cut them down because the medium queen castles from Brushy Mt. were three frame and I wanted two frames.

A lot of medium depth queen rearing equipment here: http://shop.honeyrunapiaries.com/queen-rearing?pagenumber=2

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bee Biology trumps Frame Size, every time :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts