Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my second attempt this year trying to raise queens. Both attempts have had similar results. I graft, my cells are built out and capped, and on around day 13 to 14 I check them and the queens have developed to the white body, purple eye stage. On my first attempt I opened all the cells up thinking they had died, figuring that maybe they had not been fed enough Royal Jelly, and they were all at this stage in development. So I tried raising more again and today (day13) I candled them, and not seeing anything dark (like what I expected from a developing queen at this stage), I decided to open one up to take a look. Exactly the same as last round, white pupua with purple eyes (and incidently, upon opening the cell and looking at the pupua the pupua did not move at all - is that to be expected???). So this time I got to thinking "Maybe this is where the queens should be at this stage in their development???", so that is my question...?? This time around I didn't open them all up and instead put them back in the colony with my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If they are all capped and the bees haven't torn them down chances are they are fine. I get very few fully developed cells that don't hatch. Just be patient

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you John, that makes me feel better. That crossed my mind when I was trying to figure out what to do, wouldn't the bees sense that there is something wrong and tear them down? Makes me sick thinking about the original cells that I tore apart, but this is all a learning curve (I tell myself that every time I do a bonehead move :)). Thanks again, guess I'll make up those mating Nucs and give them time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts