Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two hives and I have been having a battle to keep one of them surviving. I’ve had trouble with the hive losing a Queen late in June ( the hive may have swarmed but I don’t think so). I’ve had trouble with ants attacking the hive and I’ve have trouble with wax moths. When I opened the hive in early July and noticed there was no queen, I purchased another queen. The queen was accepted, but since then I have the problem with ants and wax moths. I have checked the hive regularly since the Queen was replaced and since the hive had to fight the ants and moths, I has never really recovered. I checked today and the new queen is still there, but very few bees are with her, and I mean maybe a dozen or less. The queen is still walking around on the comb, but I don’t see any capped brood or honey. I’m thinking there are not enough bees to cap the brood or bring in the needed resources. It is my understanding if I take bees from my other hive and put them in the struggling hive, they will kill her. I was thinking to take a couple of frames of bees from the strong hive with some honey and brood, put them in a nuc and close it off for a few days, leaving enough opening for ventilation. After a few days I would put them in the weak hive with the queen in hopes that they would accept her, believing they have no queen. Is this valid reasoning? Is there another way to save the weak hive? Is the weak hive just doomed? Please help!!!!! I don’t know what else to do

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
You can add a frame of brood along with nurse bees and it should be fine, give them a few days. Do you know for sure if the queen was laying at all? And where is your location? And I would move the queen and new brood frames into a 5 frame nuc after a few days if the hive doesn’t perk up. feed them 5/3 or 2/1 in addition to adding a pollen pattie; do all this if you know for sure the queen is laying. Make sure there is pollen on one of those frames you add.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts