Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some guidence on a newly established hive. This package was installed on April 27th. When I got them back home I realized the bees were not clustered around the queen. I figured she was dead. I installed them anyways and she turned out to bee ok. As time has gone on, the hive has not grown in size and yesterday when I took a close look I noticed zero brood and what looked to be 6 queens? Not sure if that is possible. I am pretty new at this and though I would turn to you for for help.
Thanks in advance.
Katie

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am looking for some guidence on a newly established hive. This package was installed on April 27th. When I got them back home I realized the bees were not clustered around the queen. I figured she was dead. I installed them anyways and she turned out to bee ok. As time has gone on, the hive has not grown in size and yesterday when I took a close look I noticed zero brood and what looked to be 6 queens? Not sure if that is possible. I am pretty new at this and though I would turn to you for for help.
Thanks in advance.
Katie
I've seen double queens before, never heard of more than that. I would guess you are mistaking large drones as queens? Got any pictures? You have a problem of some kind, after 6 weeks you should have lots of capped brood, larva and eggs. I'm guessing you don't have a queen at all? Do you have some drawn comb for her to lay in, or have they filled it all with honey? I would suggest uploading some pictures if you can get them.
Good Luck

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Thanks in advance.
Katie
Six loose queens or six queen cells?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Katie- Those probably are drones you are seeing, which might mean a laying worker. If you have another hive, take a frame
of brood from it and place it in the hive. You will find out in a few days if its queenless, they'll make a Q cell .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts