Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a colony of bee's that made it through winter on a wing and a prayer. It would appear that they raised a new queen very late in the fall and she never mated. She still is unmated, I say this because there is still no brood:cry: I am going to move them into a NUC box I have and hope she mates, but I think it is to late anyway there are maybe 100 workers + the queen left. Is there any chance this colony could come back?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Save yourself some time and shake them on the ground out of the hive. Kill the queen because she won't get mated. The workers will go into another hive or die. You are wasting your time on them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ive started hives with about 100 bees in them and a new queen and i have pulled about 150 lbs of honey from that hive the same year

·
Registered
219 Posts
I wish I had a new queen to put in, I was hopeful when I saw the queen about 1 month ago that they would turn around. however she never mated and evidently she still has a headache:doh:

I get 4 NUC's on Saturday so she will get the boot and new queen will move on in.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
ive started hives with about 100 bees in them and a new queen and i have pulled about 150 lbs of honey from that hive the same year
Now this is a tale I am having a hard time believing. Maybe if you are combing that hive with a much larger hive I would believe it.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
:eek: I think a lot of folks will find that hard to belive :scratch:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts