Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I introduce a queen from my own recaptured swarm into a hive next to the one she originally came from?

I want to do this because the both hives also swarmed and the one I want her in has been queenless for about 3 weeks (no queen seen, no eggs, no larvae, no valid queen cells)

The swarmed hive I'm taking her from has lots of new eggs and very young larvae. The way I see it is they can hopefully raise a queen with their young but the other hive is out of luck by now.

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of that but then I have to get all those bees off the frame. That seems like more work but I am pretty new at this. Plus I'm worried since they didn't do anything with the brood they had 3 weeks ago. That's why I love this site, I get all the good ideas from the professionals!

·
Registered
817 Posts
You lost the virgin on her mateing flight.
I would take a frame or two from the established hive and let them raise up another one or order a queen express mail. It's getting late in the season to start up a hive and have it ready for winter. It is not difficult to remove the bees from the frame, all you have to do is give them a hard jerk-shake over thier hive. I would do that too if you order another queen.
Dan

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
I'm not clear how long ago any of this took place. If they just swarmed, I'd hesitate to reintroduce her to the hive she came from. First, there is likely a virgin there who hasn't started to lay yet. I woulnd't expect to see eggs or brood for at least two to three weeks after the swarm left. Second, they just need to settle down from the swarm, IMO.

But three weeks after they swarmed and there are no eggs and a search can't find a queen, I would consider it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.