Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a queen for a queenless hive. I let them try and raise their own but it didn't work out-still queenless. As the numbers were diminishing, I added a frame of brood and bees. The queen shipment was delayed due to heat. Queen is in transit and may be here in a day or two. The bees now have a capped cell that could be open this weekend.
Should I install the new bred queen and move the capped cell (if still capped) to start a nuc-or let the hive requeen and start a nuc with the new queen?
My guess is it does not matter just a preference.

Also I have not installed a queen before. How is the best way?
The hive I bought the queen for is a single deep with a second deep as a super that is half capped out. I am adding 2 more frames of bees tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If they have capped cells they are probably going to kill an introduced queen; not 100% of the time, but close. Make a nuc with some frames of capped brood (no cells) and bees. Give them some honey. Introduce your new queen to the nuc and let the old hive raise the cells. You can always do a newspaper unite later if the queen in the old hive doesn't work out. Do a search for queen intro.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.
I was leaning towards putting the new queen in a nuc -for reserve.
If all goes well they can raise there own this time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Let them hatch out their own queen that they have worked so hard to produce. Let them do it. I'd start a nuc with the new queen and then have two hives.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: queen installed and now robbers

I put a couple frames of brood in a nuc and waited a few hours before installing the store bought queen.
Went outside to put her in and the little nuc is being robbed out.
I installed the queen and closed off the nuc. - it has 6 1" holes in it for ventilation and the one for access has a sliding cover.
There is no honey left inside but they keep coming. I let some in and closed it off again and move the nuc 100yds away.

With the robber bees will they release the queen too early.
I havent started feeding because of the robbers.

What else should I do?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Re: queen installed and now robbers

"...What else should I do?..." do a search for "robber screen" at the top of the page and "inside feeders" i prefer the gallon paint can on top of the frames with an empty box on top. good luck,mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts