Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I am new at this. I just put 2 packages in the new tbhs. That night, we had a cold snap and it stayed very cold all weekend. It's warmer now. I think one of the queens died due to the bees not clustering on her. One of the hives is acting like they have a queen. Lots of activity, nice cluster at night. The other hive is spread out on the walls of the hive at night. Does this sound like I have a hive without a queen and one with a queen?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying.

I am feeding dry sugar.

I was worried about the queens after the cold snap because they were in their cages on the bottom of the hives and the bees were clustered on the side. The package and queens hadn't had any time (at all) to hang out together before they were put into the hive, so I couldn't just release her. The hive that isn't clustering is active during the day, but their queen was dead in the package. The clustering hives queen seemed dead, but they were licking her and touching her with their antennas. She was hanging onto the little package, so I feel there is a (tiny)chance she might be alive.

I have two new queens ordered. I did this before I saw the queen package was empty in the clustering hive.

It's just a bit confusing. I guess a few things could happen if I introduce a 2nd queen in a hive that has one.

Any thoughts/ideas would be very helpful. Thank you, all around.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>I was worried about the queens after the cold snap because they were in their cages on the bottom of the hives and the bees were clustered on the side.

Which is why I would direct release the queen instead...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with direct release, but the queens and package bees had never been together at all. I was afraid of the package bees ripping her limb from limb. Oh, well. Live and learn. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wouldn't put a caged queen in the bottom of a hive she's probably frozen to death the bees wont cluster on the bottom at least I've never seen it.
She needs to be at the top of the frames where bees naturally cluster.
Also as another poster said feed sugar syrup if they aren't on a flow raw sugar is ok for maintaining bees not for drawing new comb.

kiwi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts