Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I captured a swarm about 6 weeks ago and hived them.
After a couple of weeks i noticed that there were no eggs or brood, nor could i find the queen. I am only a beginner so i may have missed sighting the queen.
I decided to put some capped brood- eggs- larvae from my other hive in to see if they would build queen cells. They did not so i deduced that there must be a queen and i simply cannot see her!
Well another 3 weeks has passed the frame i put in is now empty and still no eggs to be seen.
Could it be that there is a queen in there that is not laying ( hence no queen cells were built ) ?

What can i do to get the hive going?

Regards

Steve

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Is it spring in Australia? I'm not sure what season it is there. Here it's virtually winter (not officially but there's snow on the ground) and the queens shut down several weeks ago.

If there aren't that many bees, you could shake them all through an excluder and look for a queen, but short of that you need to either see her or some eggs. If you find multiple eggs, then the mystery will be solved. It will mean a laying worker. If they are queenless now would be about when you'd start finding them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
michael,

Yes its spring /early summer here.
I dont have any eggs at all, so no laying workers.
will try and screen them to be sure of queens existence.

If i find no queen would it be too late to requeen? As there would be no young bees to look after the brood / queen.

Steve

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Field bees can and do adjust to nursing duties, but it is harder to get acceptance when the bees have been queenless a long time. I'd either try to requeen or shake them out in front of another hive and let things take their course. It depends on how much you want to work to get a hive out of it. It would probably be easier to shake them out in front of another hive, give the combs to that hive, or another hive, wait a week or two and do a split from it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For your bees to make a queen it must be no old then a three day old egg. you must find the frame the queen is just laying in and put that in the queen less hive then it is about 14 day for her to come out then 2 weeks for her to mate. good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts