Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Queen OK - Huge larva - 1 month old hive during 1st Queen hunt

Hi there,

When separating 2 frames that were combed together a huge larva appeared in middle, about the size of the queen, it was very, very large apx., 3/4" in length. Just a queen larva?

I'm new so have no idea about what I saw - opened up the 2 new hives today started from packages 1 mos. ago for the first time looking for queen's & found both. All seems good lots of caped brood and saw youngsters hatching.

Regards.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Most likely a drone larvae.

It's your hive and you can do as you wish, but why did you wait 2 months to do your first inspection?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Brad Bee, sorry my bad corrected not 2 mos. - 1 mo. old - long weekend. looking down frames all seemed good lots of building, activity with bees coming in with pollen and just not wanting to mess with them when all seemed to be going so well. Was very interesting today also saw babies hatching out but the huge larva was strange. Thanks, drone makes sense. THANKS!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
It was a likely a drone pupa. When that happens again be sure to examine it for signs of mites. Not seeing any doesn't mean you don't have any mites in the colony, just that that particular one wasn't parasitized. But if you do see mites on a turfed-out drone, then you will know it's time to address that issue with stepped-up monitoring and treating (of one sort or another.)

Enj.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts