Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told that the queen does not like to go on the dark wax on a foundation. Do I remove the wax and toss it, and keep the foundation. Do I throw the frame away and replace. If I keep the foundation, how to I clean it so the Queen will use it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If the comb is disease free. If the comb has low chemical residues. Then I see no reason to not use it again. All combs become dark over time. The queen will use it.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Whoever told you queens do not like to lay on dark combs let us say, lacks perspective! Dark comb is not a bad thing necessarily. I would throw it away ONLY if a lot of brood disease shows up that does not go away when warm weather arrives.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'm told that the queen does not like to go on the dark wax on a foundation.
Who told you that ? All other things being equal, bees absolutely love dark comb - the older and the stinkier (is that a word ?), the better. That's why old, smelly comb is ideal for use in bait traps ... because it's what the bees actually prefer.
LJ

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,536 Posts
I'm told that the queen does not like to go on the dark wax on a foundation. Do I remove the wax and toss it, and keep the foundation. Do I throw the frame away and replace. If I keep the foundation, how to I clean it so the Queen will use it.
Respectfully, I would keep the comb and throw away the adviser....

·
Registered
892 Posts
I love dark comb. After I retire it from a hive i use it for swarm cap boxes as swarms love dark comb for some reason.
But there is a limit to that as I do try to get my brood comb rotated out in 5 ish years due to chemical buildup but until then, keep it and use it. (and no you cant clean it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts