Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had fun helping a newbee friend go through her hive yesterday. First time I heard so much and such clear piping! Long-story short-- after scraping off some queen cells I thought it would be interesting to crack one of them open. I did, and out walked the queen! She looked fully formed. I brought her back to my place and added her in a cage to a nuc that didn't queen as hoped. My question-- is she compromised because of my midwifery? I'm guessing only time will tell, but maybe one of you know more.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Who knows? Put her in a hive and see if she mates well. If she doesn't lay drones, then she's a keeper!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
If the tip of the queen cell was easy to cut off, she may have already been chewing on it from the inside. I find that immature queen cells are quite difficult to cut open without squishing the contents.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If the tip of the queen cell was easy to cut off, she may have already been chewing on it from the inside. I find that immature queen cells are quite difficult to cut open without squishing the contents.
I actually just broke it in half. I was not expecting to save her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts