Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had another new experience today. I had a Nuc that was ready to be put in an new hive and I transferred them over to a 10-frame deep today. I had a few new undrawn frames but also a couple of drawn frames from a dead-out hive.

I got them sorted and everything seemed fine. Bees fanning at the front of the new hive, etc. Right before I left the bee yard I noticed some weird action on the bottom board and I watched the queen walk out of the hive, stand on the bottom board and the bees sort of gathered around her and then she walked right off the edge. I was able to snatch her up and put her back in the hive. I kept my eye on it for about 20 minutes or so and then decided to block the entrance with grass for the evening/night.

Any idea why the heck she may have tried to leave? The hive box was not recently painted or anything like that. It was actually used during the flow last year by one of my other hives.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
it's possible that the queen became injured at some point...

when the frames were transferred into the nuc box,

if/when the nuc was transported home and the frames were not secured from flopping back and forth,

or when the frames were transferred into the 10 frame box.

other possibilities include there may have been two queens in the nuc and/or the colony is superceding the old queen.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya, as squarepeg says. Or just totally freaked out from all the commotion going on, queens do odd things when they’re stressed. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts