Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Reverse the boxes. During the winter the cluster has moved vertical. The longer the winter the higher they get, usually. This is almost a ritual every spring.
She will be forced down as they fill the upper comb with brood, and then nectar and honey, but if they are almost exclusively in the upper box, I reverse.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Put the top box on bottom and then she'll be laying in the bottom box

What's the problem? All of mine are. It's fine with me. Is there some other complication that worries you? Like different sized boxes?

·
Registered
266 Posts
If You have that much brood you may want to consider splitting. In a few weeks hive will be over crowded and will split for you. If you want to keep it together better start adding supers to give them room and start keeping an eye out for swarm cells.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
The bees don't see more than 1 box. They have one hive. They store honey from the top down and raise brood just below the stores. During the winter they move up as they eat. During the flow they move back down as the honey is stored above.
Don't worry, your situation is normal and she will move back down as the stores are replaced during the flow.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, then when I add foundation to be drawn out, should I add it on the very bottom to simulate a hanging comb that just gets taller?

·
Registered
266 Posts
IMO add it to top for honey stores. If its a box of the same dimension as others pull a frame or two of drawn comb out of another box and place in new box to get them motivated to begin working on the foundation a little quicker. If you just put a box of only foundation on they will waite till a strong flows on to move into it

·
Registered
266 Posts
IMO add it to top for honey stores. If its a box of the same dimension as others pull a frame or two of drawn comb out of another box and place in new box to get them motivated to begin working on the foundation a little quicker. If you just put a box of only foundation on they will waite till a strong flows on to move into it

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I agree, add it to the top and, as he says, pull a frame or two, or others call it checkerboard, to get them open space without a honey cap and they will work to fill from the top, otherwise it takes them a while to realize there is space above the honey. They will never move up there unless there's a flow on without checkerboarding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts