Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About one week ago I had posted about one of my weaker hives that was making about 1-4 queen cells. This gave me the impression that I have a queen less hive due to the fact that the hive is weak, the bees are more aggressive and there were queen cells. I was given the advice to put a frame of brood from my strong hive into this one to help them get through the process of raising a queen.

I put the frame full of capped brood from my strong hive into this one on Monday of last week. Today I went back in to to see how things were going. I couldn't find any of the queen cells that I saw last week for some reason and I couldn't find the queen (being a newbie, I must admit that I have not even seen the queen in my strong hive yet either) however, I did see larvae.

From what I know it takes about 72 hours for the eggs to turn into larvae. Because of this, I don't believe this larvae was from the frame that I put in last week (There could have been larvae, but mainly I just saw capped brood) So.... what do you think... do I have a laying queen now or do you think my hive is still queen less and if this is the case I will need to get a new queen.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Look for eggs. If you see them you have a laying queen. If you have trouble seeing eggs(bad eye sight) mark a frame that is in the center of the brood nest that doesn't have larva. Check again in a few days and see if there is larva in it then.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If you have a new queen in there, she might need another week or two before you will find eggs.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Let the sun shine over your shoulder from the back onto the fame when you are looking for eggs. Over time you will find the right angle that makes it easier to see eggs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you make sure the queen from your good hive was not on the frame that you put into the weak hive?

I did this once except I saw the queen and put her by the porch and watched her go back into the good hive - then found her in my nuc a week later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts