Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Queen is gone ! 16 queen cups - what is the best course of action?

1454 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  JWPalmer
Hello everyone! New beekeeper here. Purchased and installed my nuc in late May and things have been going well. I've got my first super on and the honey production is in full swing. I do my hive inspections on weekends but this past weekend the unexpected happened - I discovered my queen has disappeared from my hive. I've done numerous inspections this past week but I've been unable to find her. There also doesn't seem to be any new eggs being laid - all that I have is lots of pre-existing capped brood and larvae that are in various stages of development. The queen was present the weekend before, but now she is gone. The hive is still strong and there has been no reduction in the colony size.

So my dilemma as a new beekeper - I now have 16 queen cups, fully developed and closed at the bottom of two frames in my hive. Since my queen is gone, do I leave these all to develop and let the first queen to hatch duke it out with the remainder? I'm not sure how to proceed at this point in time.

I'm running a single 10 deep brood chamber with 1 super on at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rob
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?356217-Bees-staying-home. This is a thread I started and it may help. Not certain I pasted it correctly but it is Bees Staying Home.
Hello everyone! New beekeeper here. Purchased and installed my nuc in late May and things have been going well. I've got my first super on and the honey production is in full swing. I do my hive inspections on weekends but this past weekend the unexpected happened - I discovered my queen has disappeared from my hive. I've done numerous inspections this past week but I've been unable to find her. There also doesn't seem to be any new eggs being laid - all that I have is lots of pre-existing capped brood and larvae that are in various stages of development. The queen was present the weekend before, but now she is gone. The hive is still strong and there has been no reduction in the colony size.

So my dilemma as a new beekeper - I now have 16 queen cups, fully developed and closed at the bottom of two frames in my hive. Since my queen is gone, do I leave these all to develop and let the first queen to hatch duke it out with the remainder? I'm not sure how to proceed at this point in time.

I'm running a single 10 deep brood chamber with 1 super on at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rob

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.