Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a day and a half into introducing my queen. I checked today to see if she was released and she was not.

I have a question on their behavior and acceptance. Is it common to see bees all over the screen of the cage? They weren't balling the cage, but there were enough bees on the screen so that I couldn't see into the cage (probably 10-15 bees).

The reason I ask is that whenever I see a queen on a frame, she is never covered in bees.

Ken

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The queen is also free in comb, not locked in a cage.
Can you tell if they are biting at the cage or showing other signes of wanting to kill rather than accept her?

I am sure you pulled the cork or whatever they tend to stop the end with. If there is a ton of candy you may want to poke it out a little to help them along.

Mike

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
You didn't mentioned whether this is starting a package or requeening an existing hive. For packages, I'm perfectly fine with exposing the candy right from the beginning. However, if you're requeening an existing hive, and not using a push in cage (or other introduction device) I tend to be more conservative and do not expose the candy for a day or more (2 days is no problem) After two days, I gently inspect the caged queen and observe the bees on the cage. If they seem aggressive I may wait longer before exposing the candy. If things appear not aggressive, I will expose the candy and leave them for a week undisturbed. Yes, its normal for lots on bees to be on the cage - what you're trying to assess is their intent. If you find them trying to sting through the wire then I would re-cork the candy and wait. If you find them feeding the queen, then its probably OK to uncork the candy side.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This hive has been queenless for at least a month. There is definitely NO stinging being done. I posted a video of the introduction. You can go to the end to see how the bees originally reacted to her.

Thanks everyone for the great information.

Ken

Goto 5:50 to see how the bees react

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5igavPNOBs

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
they look to be feeding her. Take your index finger and push them, more like a nudge. If they move easily then come, they have accepted her IMHO. I just did this very thing with a laying worker hive, left her in her cage for a coule of days, then went to check on them. During the check, i nudged the bees slightly and they would just move out of the way. I released her and I find her every time I opened the hive....be SURE you do not have laying workers..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts