Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone,

I was just wondering how long a queen might survive in the mail? I know that my replacement bee was posted on Monday. As of today, the tracking history is completely blank for yesterday and today. So hopefully will get it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bet she will be fine. I got a package in on Monday that was shipped Friday and the queen was just fine. Of course she had 3 pounds of bees to keep her warm. I will stay positive and just have to believe she will be fine. Good luck and let us know how she does.

One more thing: Your shipper could have created the shipping label on Monday, and has not actually shipped her yet.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice H, I do appreciate it.
I bet she will be fine. I got a package in on Monday that was shipped Friday and the queen was just fine. Of course she had 3 pounds of bees to keep her warm. I will stay positive and just have to believe she will be fine. Good luck and let us know how she does.

One more thing: Your shipper could have created the shipping label on Monday, and has not actually shipped her yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Two years ago I shipped 8 queens overnight that got lost in the mail. Eight days later they arrived, all queens were alive, but some of the attendants were dead. The buyer said they appeared weak, but were revived with a little water and honey.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great thanks! She finally reappeared on the tracking after MIA for two days. Still no arrival time. Dear USPS: does it really have to take that long to travel sixty miles???

Two years ago I shipped 8 queens overnight that got lost in the mail. Eight days later they arrived, all queens were alive, but some of the attendants were dead. The buyer said they appeared weak, but were revived with a little water and honey.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Longest I've had to wait was 3 days, probably actually 2 days transit, but that was from OHB's Hawaii apiary, cool season and no issue. Had a couple come from Cali during the warmer summer and queens seemed fine but several included nurse bees where dead. As mentioned earlier, a quick feeding seems to pull them out good.

May depend on the carrier as well, IDK, but I am fortunate that the UPS driver in my area is also a beek, so he treats them with kit gloves once he picks up at the terminal..

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I got queens shipped a few years from GA to NH. 8 if i remember. shipped on a tues and something went wrong they were stuck in the warehouse over the holiday weekend. all were doa. all usps fault. I had to file a claim to get my money back. I will drive an hour now and pay more to get them handed to me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I ordered from GA with shipment checked in Monday. No locations since then. He has had several people call him about the Monday shipments. I'm in NW Florida. Still no location on the package. I'd like to know which office failed to scan them in and caused issues with beeks all over the country.

Matt, that is great news. I'm waiting to see if mine come in on the 11:00 truck.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Mine didn't arrive. Last time the package was scanned was leaving the post office on Monday, 18th. My local office is saying it can't be claimed as lost until 90 days pass.

Yunzow, did yours arrive?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got mine yesterday afternoon!
Was yours coming from Gillsville?
Mine didn't arrive. Last time the package was scanned was leaving the post office on Monday, 18th. My local office is saying it can't be claimed as lost until 90 days pass.

Yunzow, did yours arrive?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yes. Gillsville Monday departure. No update indicating an arrival today. successfully I don't know if the local office gets the same trucks on Saturdays. If so, 11:00 is the last opportunity until Monday.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Still no package. Has anyone had them survive this long? I'm starting to think it won't matter if the package arrives, the bees will be dead or have eaten through the fondant and killed each other.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Heather, I hate to say it but it is highly unlikely that your queens have survived this long under who knows what conditions. It is not like they are necessarily in a climate controlled environment and getting a drop of water every day. Sorry.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, there,

I didn't realize you had a *package*. I just received a queen, not a whole package. I think it really depends on long it takes them to suck down the canned syrup? As was pointed out to me in a different sub-forum, they don't have a lot of energy needs right now, if there is no brood to rear.

As an example, my queenless package bees I installed on Sunday, I put the can of syrup (raised so they could get at it) and sealed the hive so they couldn't leave and l. When I opened it up to add an in-hive feeder, the can was still quite full. this was after two nights in a row of high 30s / low 40s temperatures.

Even when I removed the in-hive feeder a few days later, and the can, they still had syrup in them, and this was after some robbing was going on because I did a hack job of sealing off the hive and other bees were getting in.

I verified a couple of days ago that even though there were quite a few dead bees on the hive floor, the cluster around the new queen was a good size.

so.... good luck and keep your fingers crossed and keep us posted!

Still no package. Has anyone had them survive this long? I'm starting to think it won't matter if the package arrives, the bees will be dead or have eaten through the fondant and killed each other.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I didn't realize you had a *package*. I just received a queen, not a whole package.
I meant package of queens. I bought six queens, shipped in a single box/package. Sorry for the term confusion.

Still nothing. The past two messages (different days) went unanswered, but I reached him directly today. I asked if he would be refunding me or sending replacements and was told that he will talk with the post master tomorrow. Thankfully I paid by credit card and can dispute the charge if needed.

Any suggestions on where to buy queens this early in the year that are as treatment free as possible?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts