Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did a split 34 days ago, found the queen in the original hive and caged her while we did the split, took the split to another location and did not introduce a new queen letting the bees make a new one, we also put a super on the split, about 70% full of capped honey and nectar, not sure why we did that but we did.

We inspected the split yesterday to see if they were successful in producing a new queen. We found no eggs or larvae in the deep so assumed they were not successful producing a new queen. There was still a fair amount of bees in the hive so we took a frame of eggs and larvae from another hive and put it into the split thinking we'd (they) would try again (does this work after such a long period of time?).

While putting the hive back together we found the queen on the queen excluder, the side that goes next to the super so we assumed she's been living in the super? We found no eggs or larvae or any brood in the super although there weren't many empty cells anyway.

Question is, Is it possible when the queen emerged from her cell she was small enough to fit through the queen excluder then grew and was stuck up there?

Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes that is entirely possible. Virgin queens or immature queens can slip through. Some smaller mated queens can slip through as well. 34 days is not too late to add a frame of eggs and larvae to give them a chance to requeen themselves. Usually by day 34 I have seen eggs, but not always by any means. This time of year, depending on your weather, laying may slow down a bit.

I would remove the excluder and leave it be. Check back in a week and see what is happening.

Ryan

·
Registered
About 30 hives
789 Posts
I have heard the Thorax is what will not fit through the excluder, I caught a swarm and put an excluder on the bottom to keep the queen in, and it worked, the whole hive left without her, joined another swarm, she was inside by herself, but on the other hand I hear that won't work on virgin queen or flying queen, I'd say she got out and around it without you seeing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts