Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single brood box with 1 honey super and upon inspection yesterday the queen has got into honey super and started laying. In the brood box there are now 3 new supercedure cells and lots of clumped drone comb. I am not sure whether to split the boxes or put the queen back into the brood, any advise?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'd shake all the bees out of the super back into the broodnest. Add a queen excluder, they are necessary with single brood boxes. Put super back on and just let the brood hatch out and the bees will fill in with honey. Is your broodnest filled with nectar? Are they thinking of swarming, rather then supercedure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a queen excluder already fitted and we're not sure how she made the move to the honey super. The queen cells were central in the side of the frame and not off the bottom so assumed supersedure activity

·
Registered
790 Posts
That actually happens once in awhile where a queen squeezes through. Some times the excluder seems to inhibit the queens phermones and they start to make cells. But could be supercedure always possible. I'd cut the cells down. If they make them again, let nature take its course.

·
Registered
613 Posts
That actually happens once in awhile where a queen squeezes through. Some times the excluder seems to inhibit the queens phermones and they start to make cells. But could be supercedure always possible. I'd cut the cells down. If they make them again, let nature take its course.
I like this plan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts