Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I have. I have a hive, one brood box deep. I went to check it yesterday and found about 10 queen cells. I went back today thinking that they where about to swarm. I transferred some into a nuc box with queen cells on the frame. I insured that there was a queen In the original box also. There wasn't an egg that I could see and they were backfilling with nectar. She may have been a brand new queen but I checked this hive about 2 weeks ago. Do you think they superseded the queen and this new one is the first to emerge? Do you think I was right to make a split?

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I would think that you have full blown swarm preparation going on. I would immediately find that queen if you can still find her and move her and a couple frames of brood and split her off to a new location in the yard. I would smash all but two swarm cells on the same frame and let the strong original hive raise the new queen. I would give them some room. Sounds like they outgrew your one box and were going to the trees. With no brood to feed they need another box and maybe a super if they haven't already swarmed.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I agree to do what Vance says. A virgin queen is much smaller than a mated, laying queen. What you saw must have been the original queen. If you want more hives, you split it with a couple frames of bees and a queen cell in each.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What everybody else said.
Once in swarm mode the only sure way to stop it is to pull the old queen and a couple frames of brood and only leave behind 2 cells at the most.

Unless you saw her late today tomorrow is probably too late.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I ran across something today for which I am seeking an answer and your response piqued my interest.

A month ago I accidentally squished a queen. Fast forward to today, I went in to check and see if I had any sign of a new queen. The good news is that I found mid sized larvae on both sides of one frame. I then found a queen on the next frame over. She seemed smaller/thinner than her mother and what I am used to but this is the first queen that I raised. Is this normal, does it take a few weeks after mating fir a queen to reach her mature size?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do you think there would be no eggs? I find it interesting that she stopped laying. I looked at the queen and she looked younger. That doesn't mean she is. They still had some room to grow. They were do for a box real soon. Maybe they felt like they where growing fast enough to warrant the swarm cells. Does the queen slow down laying right before they swarm?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts